Chef Kunal Kapur Biography & Life Story
Chef Kunal Kapur is an Indian celebrity chef, restaurateur and author. He is popular as the host and the judge of the television series Master Chef India season 1,2 & 3.
It was aired on Star Plus. He also hosted and judged Junior Master Chef Season 1. He is also a cook book writer.
Early & Personal life of Chef Kunal Kapur:
Kunal Kapur was born on 18th September 1979 in New Delhi India. He was born in a Punjabi family. He completed his school education from St.
Francis De Sales School New Delhi. He completed his commerce bachelor from Delhi University. After that he did his Hotel Management course from Dr. Ambedkar Institute of Hotel Management, Catering & Nutrition, Chandigarh.
As he belongs to the family of bankers, his parents wanted him to be Banker but his goal was to be a chef. He wanted to make his career as per his passion.He married to Ekta Kapur. The couple have a son Ranbir Kapur.
Chef Kunal Kapur Career:
From childhood, he was interested in cooking. And his passion for cooking made him one of the most well-known chef in India.
He took early training of cooking from his father and his grandmother. During 2000, he started his career with the Taj Group of Hotels.
At present, he is working as an executive sous Chef at the Leela Kempinski in Gurgaon. He opened a restaurant, which achieved best restaurant award thrice. He owned and managed some restaurants. They are…
- Patiyala by Kunal Kapur in Dubai. It was co-owned by Chef Kunal kapur & Saurabh Narain.
- Another is Diya Simply India. It is located in Leela Ambience, Gurgaon.
- Namak by Kunal Kapur is an Indian cuisine restaurant at Abu Dhabi.
He was rated as the best Indian Chef in January 2008 in New Delhi by India Today. He was titled as ‘The next big guy in Kebabs & Curries in India’.
He was honored to present ‘Satvik (cuisine) Bhojan’ to PM Narendra Modi & Germon Chancellor Angela Markel in Bangalore.
On the India Africa Summit beside an interactive cooking session, he cooked for 42 first ladies during their recent visit to India.
Kunal Kapur also trains underprivileged and unemployed youth in cooking. He even helps in raising funds to make their own sustained food business together with United Ways Delhi. He is passionate about automobiles, technology, travel, fashion and history also.
He wrote a cook book titled “A Chef In Every Home: The Complete Family Cookbook”.
His name was cited in Limca Book of Records for creating India’s ‘largest chocolate tower’. He also supports Tupperware: An American multinational brand of home equipment.
He hosted his first travel & food show named ‘The Foodies Comes to America’. It was shot in New York and California.
The show was to discover the journey of Indian food in USA. He was also invited as a guest judge for an episode of MasterChef USA season 2.
He also hosted 1st & 2nd season of ‘My Yellow Table’ on NDTV good times. He also hosted ‘Pickle Nation’, ‘Fit Foodie’ and ‘Celebrating Togetherness’ on Living Foods.
- He hosted & judged popular cooking competition reality television series Season 1, 2, 3 & 5 of MasterChef India.
- He was invited for MasterChef America season 2 as a guest judge.
- For 18-episode series named Pickle Nation on Living Foodz, he travelled across India to bring out the most unique pickles and related stories. That show was to explore the age old pickles & pickling stories of India.
- Kapur traveled to unravel the different ‘thalis’ of India for his show ‘Thalis of India’. It was to show the tradition of serving food in big thals or platters has a reason & significance.
- He also hosted the popular food series named My Yellow Table from season 1 to 4 on NDTV Good Times.
- The show “Curries of India” was to explore the history & influences on Indian sub-continent to form the curries. It was aired on living Foodz. 22-episodes of this food & travel series bring out the culinary journey of classic curries.
- His one more show ‘Foodie Comes to America’ shot in New York & California. It discovered the journey of Indian food in USA. It was aired on Times Now. It captured the travel & culinary journey of Kapur by showcasing the best Indo-American cuisine.
Awards and achievements of Chef Kunal Kapur:
- Kunal Kapur received The Indian Television Academy Award for the Best Jury/Anchor for Junior MasterChef India.
- His name was quoted by Limca Book of Records for making India’s largest chocolate tower.
- Prime Minister of New Zealand, John Key awarded him with Sir Edmund Hillary Fellowship award for his contribution in the field of Food & Beverage.
- In 2017, he won the Epicurean Guild Award for Best Food Entertainer for Thalis of India.
- WBR India awarded him with the Most Enterprising Brands & Leaders of Asia Award.
|Are you an
Entrepreneur or Startup?
Do you have a Success Story to Share?
SugerMint would like to share your success story.
We cover entrepreneur Stories, Startup News, Women entrepreneur stories, and Startup stories