Deep Kalra’s MakeMyTrip, an Indian online travel company is helping you fulfill your travel cravings.
Deep Kalra was born in Hyderabad and grew up in Ahmedabad and Delhi. Deep Kalra is an entrepreneur, Indian businessman who is the founder and group CEO of the largest Indian online travel company, MakeMyTrip which provides online travel services like hotel reservations, Air tickets, domestic and international holiday packages, Cab Booking, train booking and bus tickets, etc..
Deep Kalra obtained his bachelor’s degree from St. Stephen’s College, Delhi and his Master of Business Administration degree (MBA) degree from IIM Ahmedabad – Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad in 1992.
His career started soon after he completed his Master of Business Administration degree (MBA) from IIM Ahmedabad and went on to work for companies like ABN AMRO Bank, GE Capital, etc! At GE Money, Deep’s career was progressing well. Three years at the bank, Deep decided to turn an entrepreneur.
Deep is a founding member of an NGO named I am Gurgaon. He is also a part of the governing body of Ashoka University. Karla was number #1 in KPMG’s most powerful digital influencers in India list in 2011.
Deep Kalra took a huge risk by quitting good paying and stable job at ABN Bank. He brought the AMF Bowling – an American company that was hoping to enter the Indian market to start the 10-pin bowling revolution in the country.
However, the venture failed to roll on, and he went back to a boring and regular private job. He thinks that failure in his case helped him a lot to egg him on.
Hence, with a backing of eVentures and along with co-founders like – Rajesh Magow, Keyur Joshi, and Sachin Bhatia, deep began his new Entrepreneurial journey with and online travel company, MakeMyTrip after realizing the possibilities of the internet.
MakeMyTrip has also done some notable mergers, Investments, and acquisitions, some of these include: –
- May 2011: Acquired a Singapore based Travel Agency, Luxury Tours and Travel Private Limited.
- August 2011: Aquired the Parent company of Ixigo.com, Le Travenues Technology Private Limited, based in Gurgaon, which performs an ‘online travel meta search engine’.
- November 2011: Acquired a Budget Lodging / Hotel Operator based in Delhi, My Guest House Accommodation.
- November 2012: MakeMyTrip aquired Hotel Travel Group (HT Group) – a Travel firm with operations in Singapore, Thailand, and Malaysia.
- November 2012: Acquired a Tour operating company based in Thailand, ITC Group.
- 2015: MakeMyTrip acquired MyGola – A start-up travel guide firm for an undisclosed amount.
- 2015: Made angel investments in the TrulyMadly – matchmaking website.
- 2015: Received investment worth $6 million from Deep Kalra in a Gurgaon based online health store along with other investors such as Intel Capital, Sequoia Capital, Omidyar Network, and Kae capital.
Deep Kalra’s Achievements
- Executive Council of NASSCOM Member.
- NASSCOM Internet Working Group Chairperson.
- “Best Travel Portal India” Award.
- CII’s Tourism sub-committee Member.
- “Best Online Travel Service Firm” Award.
- “E-tailer of the Year” award.
- “Ten Best Companies to Work For in India”.