“Fashion is the armour to survive the reality of everyday life” – Bill Cunningham.
Gone are the days when you had to go to a mall or a shopping market and visit every store, every shop for buying the things you like.
The concept of online shopping has been a revolution in itself. With just a simple tap you can now buy whatever clothes that you may like from the comfort of your home or when working! If you are someone who loves window shopping, then you can browse for whatever you fancy within minutes!
Popularity of online stores –
In 1995 the internet first came to India and with it came online shopping. Online shopping gained its popularity between 1999 and 2000’s with bazee.com.
Soon came in Amazon.com the online bookstore which was started by Jeff Bezos. Jeff Bezos created history by becoming the first bookstore with its presence only being online. After Amazon’s success, many physical bookstores also created their own presence online.
As the pandemic hit us in 2020, online shopping became the way of life for many people worldwide.
As most of the world was shut down in the year 2020 and as we are still amidst a battle between the novel coronavirus or Covid-19, one of the biggest beneficiaries of the pandemic was the e-commerce market.
Those who weren’t ordering groceries online, started doing so, even platforms such as Amazon and Flipkart started their own online grocery store with delivering fruits, vegetables and other groceries.
Top 5 reasons why you should choose online shopping –
While some people still prefer going to a physical store for some good old fashion therapy, there are many more who choose to shop online. Here are a few reasons why –
- Variety and huge selection of products – Physical stores have a limited stock of products. More often than not, a physical store will only keep products that are in high demand and if you want something that’s unique you might have to search a variety of stores in hopes of finding it. When you shop online, you can browse through products from various brands all together on one platform!
- Better prices and discounts – Online platforms not only offer a vast variety of products but they also offer greater discounts on their products! E-Retailers only reduce their profit margin to attract customers. As there is no physical store you have to go to, they can afford to have lower prices when compared to physical stores making it more attractive for customers. What’s more is you can also purchase coupons online from a variety of different apps which lets you purchase coupons which you can then redeem at an online store.
- Discreet Shopping – If you love street shopping and have gone to lingerie stores you know how awkward it gets when you have a man standing behind the counter selling you lingerie. With online shopping, you can buy whatever you want in the comfort of your
home without having to deal with annoying sales executives or judgement!
- Quick and easy product replacement – If you make a purchase from a physical store, you can’t return it online which means that you will have to take time out of your schedule, travel and then return or get a refund for your product. When you shop online, you can return an item that you don’t like within minutes and without having to travel making it easier and much more convenient.
- No crowd – Have you ever had to wait for hours at the cash counter in a physical store? Irritating and time consuming right? One of the biggest advantages of online stores is that you no longer have to wait in queues or push through the crowd to browse for something that you desire.
Top 10 online shopping Sites in India –
When you want to shop online, there are hundreds of options for you to choose from. Some of the most popular e-commerce stores in India are –
- Myntra – Founded in the year 2007, Myntra is a bangalore based e-commerce website in India. Get the biggest fashion deals on all top brands in india. Myntra takes care of all your shopping and personal needs on one platform! You can browse or shop for shoes, bags, clothes or even makeup online on Myntra! Myntra’s mobile app is user friendly and it’s return policy is quick and easy.
- Nykaa – Founded by Falguni Nayar in 2012, Nykaa is an Indian lifestyle retailer of beauty products, wellness and fashion products that you can buy online. Nykaa has now also come up with it’s own affordable brand of cosmetics which you can either buy online or at a few selected retail stores. Easy return policies allows for customers to request for a return or the exchange of a product within 5 days of delivery.
- Limeroad – Owned by A.M. Marketplaces Pvt. Ltd. Limeroad is based in Gurugram, haryana. Limeroad is India’s first women’s social shopping website. What started out as a website only for women, limeroad has since expanded its horizons and has recently added a collection of men’s fashion. The website offers celebrity inspired looks along with accessories and jewellery that you can shop for. Limeroad also has a great collection of ethnic wear and you can choose from unstitched, semi-stitched and completely stitched clothes.
- The Label Life – The label life is the brainchild of Bipasha Basu, Malaika Arora and Sussanne Khan. Some of the clothes that you see on the label life are exclusively picked by Bipasha Basu, Malaika Arora and Sussanne Khan. The label life has collaborated with Starbucks to bring you a collection of lifestyle essentials that are unique.
- Pernia’s pop-up shop – Pernia’s pop-up shop is your one shop stop for buying designer clothes from some top designers such as Manish Malhotra, Ritu Kumar, Tarun Tahilliani and many more. Mostly famous for its bridal and ethnic wear, Pernia’s pop-up shop also offers a wide variety of jewellery and accessories. Since Pernia’s pop-up shop has a large variety of bridal couture from top fashion designers, it is heavy on the pocket.
- Ajio – Owned by Reliance, AJIO was founded in April 2016 and was unveiled at Lakme Fashion Week in Mumbai. AJIO has a wide selection of clothes for kids, women and men. It hosts a wide variety of clothes from popular brands and is also famous for giving heavy discounts. AJIO is your one stop shop for all your shopping needs as you can buy anything right from ethnic wear to accessories, bags, lingerie, shoes, maternity and plus-sized clothes. AJIO is a portal which also offers it’s customers tech gadgets.
- Abof – Owned by the Aditya Birla Group, Abof is short for “all about fashion”. New in the fashion e-commerce industry, Abof is quickly gaining its popularity as it offers its customers a variety of looks that celebrities wear every day in their daily lives off-screen. Simply add the look you fancy to your cart and buy!
- Koovs – Get the best clothes accessories for both Men’s and Women’s on Koovs.In addition, Women’s and Girls ‘Jewelry Boys’ Shoes are sold in large quantities daily, they also offer discounts from time to time on various brands across India.
- Amazon – Owned by Jeff Bezos, Amazon is the world’s largest online store. Amazon has a wide variety of products for you to choose from right from house appliances, books, gadgets, beauty products and fashion as well.
- Flipkart – Flipkart is India’s most popular shopping website. Flipkart has a wide selection of clothes for men, women and kids. Flipkart has a great return policy for its customers and is very popular among users as you can buy a variety of products right from gadgets to beauty products all in one place.
In Conclusion –
Online shopping is fast, convenient and reliable. You get the full shopping experience on your phone and within minutes. An added bonus of online shopping is, you don’t have to buy the product immediately as opposed to retail stores.
Simply add the products you desire in your cart or add them to your wish list which you can later buy at your convenience.